PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Direct Entry Pilot
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2024, 22:32
Vurtility

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JulietSierra6
I left LCC flying in 2016 for BA and took an early command at LGW (we didn’t all choose to be junior LHS under JSS) I’m now at LHR after being forced up following COVID. I have to say a point that’s not been mentioned and one reason I don’t (yet) move is that IMO the LHS is actually a better job than the right. If you can put up with the rosters (still more days off than at my LCC) I think take the extra money and better job satisfaction etc for the first 5 years or so while you weigh up your options and would then have better relative seniority on Long Haul. (Plus you’ll bump me up the list )

I’m pay point 8 and estimate £140k for this year. Tax efficient electric cars also a good option for the tax trap. There’s no escaping the junior rosters which can be hard but you’re never far away from a block of leave and the two guaranteed weekend days off have softened the blow. Also Parental leave is a nice option which I use often. Every year I weigh up moving RHS long haul vs going part time where I am but currently still (quite) enjoy the job, have gotten used to the money, and the pension contributions are another huge plus in comparison to most other uk airlines, even more so in the LHS.

I’ll move one day, but for now it’s still 100x better than had I stayed where I was, and that also highlights the other benefit… the option to change your mind!
Thanks for your helpful comment. Might you be willing to explain the parental leave further? Can I assume unpaid and limited - how much is reasonable etc.

I would be interested in part time asap but if not possible for the first few years this may be an important factor.

Much appreciated
V