PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gyroscopic precession engineering question
Old 19th Mar 2024, 22:43
Robbiee

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Rotorbee
Not again. Could everybody please read their Prouty before coming up with that again and again and again? It has been debunked several times here. The Robinsons have an offset of 72°. Not 90°. Can't be gyroscopic precession. Other helicopters have other offsets. Yes, Smarter Every Day got it oh so wrong, too. He isn't that smart. Otherwise he would have talked to somebody who actually knows something about it. And yes, the FAA helicopter handbook gets it wrong, too. It's lies to children. Simplifying things to the point where it is wrong.
In a vacuum you would have that effect, but aerodynamic effects are way stronger and therefore gyroscopic precession is not important on a rotor. It is called phase lag.
And there is no centrifugal force either. Centripetal force is the real thing. Goes in the opposite direction.
I don't recall the Rotorcraft Flying Hanbook ever saying that a helicopter's rotor "is" a gyro. I do recall it saying that its "like a gyro", which is not the same thing, but its been a long time since I've looked so,...

Anyway, the FAA only wants us pilots to have a surface level knowledge when it comes to aerodynamics. I know what they want me to know, and it helps me get through my BFRs,...but I'm not going to teach a class of engineering students, or design my own helicopter with it, lol.

Anyway, I thought the R22 was offset around 60°,...?