PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Student instructed to Orbit on base
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2024, 05:07
TCAS FAN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fl1ingfrog
ATC should never instruct a student nor any pilot to orbit on base leg nor on final. Unfortunately this is not unknown. An orbit downwind should not be an issue when pilots are properly trained to do so.
Totally agree with the sentiment expressed on this thread, no orbits on base leg. ATCOs should determine the traffic sequence when aircraft are downwind with any orbits necessary for spacing made there when the aircraft is clean.

The lack of awareness to avoid base leg orbits is invariably an ATCO tranining issue. A controller can qualify for his/her licence without any flying knowledge or experience.

Many years ago NATS would include a PPL Course in their ATCO training, that has been reduced or even now removed completely. Those self sponsoring their training get no flying experience unless they chose to do it voluntarily, and thereby fund it themselves.

I self funded my ATCO training and also a PPL. During my early post first solo circuit training I was instructed to “report final”, turned base, set up the descent, with 20 flap, power back and trimmed for the descent but then told to “orbit right” so that a scheduled flight could be lined up and depart ahead of me, not impressed to the extent I subsequently phoned the TWR ATCO to complain, he was totally oblivious to the problem that he had caused!