PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOAC Mosquitoes
Thread: BOAC Mosquitoes
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2024, 23:12
Soproud111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert T
Hi,

This is the flight that Nils Bohr took to get to Britain. Does anyone know who the crew were on that flight?

RobertT
I know that my Grandfather was the R/O on that flight and recalls him (Niels) losing consciousness due to either not hearing or not heeding the instructions to grab the oxygen mask. I know this is mentioned online with various explanations but I get the impression the crew were a bit frustrated by this! Not ideal to then have to descend.

My Grandfather was Joseph (Joe) Burnett.
I unfortunately don’t know who the Captain was. My Grandfather has further records mentioning him on flights alongside Captain John White and Captain Rendall.

My Grandfather received a medal from the King of Norway appointing him a Knight 2nd Class of The Order of Saint Olav. This was due to regaining control of the aircraft when the pilot passed out over Norway, until he could descend to an altitude whereby the pilot awoke. (Captain Rendall). This medal was awarded in Jan 1945.

He was also the R/O that flew with Captain White when they in three journeys flew 2400 miles in nine flying hours on instruments during darkness.

The family know this from documentation gleaned after his death in the early 70’s from cancer.
After the recent death of my Mum (who was very cagey about discussing wartime exploits) I spoke to my Aunt who chatted merrily away about her Dad telling her he flew the atomic physicist Niels Bohr to the U.K. She told me more stories too, which are absolutely fascinating.
I’ve had a few attempts to learn more and piece the jigsaw together properly, but note that others too find there hasn’t been much research carried out about this fascinating part of history.

Apparently my Grandfather was very reluctant to talk about his wartime experiences; I think he felt it was inappropriate to do so and conveyed that there was a high element of secrecy involved. He referred to certain things he was involved in as being connected with Churchill.
He too received a letter from Airways House commending him for the part he played in the war, dated 23rd June 1945.

I’m convinced he was involved in rescuing and transporting agents and important documents.
I’m fascinated by what I have read on these posts and would love to know more.

Last edited by Soproud111; 20th Mar 2024 at 10:12.