PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Teesside-2
Thread: Teesside-2
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2024, 15:39
P330

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Darlington
Many thanks for your kind reply, so it sounds like about 9 or 10 tonnes a week in and out, doesn't sound profitable.
The mayor just can't help exaggerating, claiming FedEx are the largest when UPS and DHL are larger, and 8 UPS flights a week, that works out at about...3 tonnes on each flight , surely that's not economical , or am I missing something.?{
Not like you Bill to turn a good news story into another doom laden post?

Not sure how accurate this is, so don't shoot the messenger, but on www.statista.com, it shows in the Americas at least in 2021, Fedex had 44% market share, UPS had 33% and DHL had 20%. I suspect though the figures could be different in Europe or if taken through a global lens. And is 'big' defined as revenue, market share, flights, tonnes, profitability, employees? All could yield different rankings.

This is undoubtedly good news for the airport and builds the portfolio. None of us at this stage have any idea if it will be profitable or not but you would expect that it should be, or will be eventually.

Will holiday makers care? At the headline level, probably not. But if this portfolio build secures a long term airport, there is an increased chance of holidaymakers having a local airport to fly from and they are more likely to care about that.

I can imagine a birthday party in Bill's household. Everyone singing and wishing many happy returns to the individual when Bill joins in..."Ah but, you're another year closer to dying now aren't you.".....

Last edited by P330; 18th Mar 2024 at 16:09.