PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lockheed P-80 compared to Gloster Meteor and DH Vampire
Old 18th Mar 2024, 12:59
chevvron

Received 102 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by longer ron
I was trying to remember if I had read that there was an RAE Aircraft with a kerosene tank also available to fly quickly to any location if one of the early development jets landed away from 'home' due to low fuel ?
I doubt if there was room in either the E28/39 or 'Land Crab' (Vampire) for an extra fuel tank with alternate fuel but the Meteor, having its engines in the wings, probably had room in the fuselage if there was ever one fitted.
Arthur C Clarke related a tale in his wartime novel 'Glidepath' (based on some elements of fact) where a 'Meteor' landed away at an airfield in 'Cornwall'; I vaguely recall he called this airfield 'St Erryn'.
Whatever, if a jet aircraft had to land 'away' from base during this period, they would have to refuel with something to get it home because all that would be available would be AVGAS (unless there just happened to be somewhere which had a bulk supply of domestic paraffin nearby).