PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Surely this can't be legal?
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2024, 01:06
MechEngr

Received 215 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain Nomad
Mech Engr, you might change your mind after having a near miss with a drone from the front-left seat of a fast-moving aircraft... I'm sure there are a number of pilots on here who've had them - me included. Just because you perceive the risk to be low doesn't mean it can't happen or that the consequences should be disregarded. It's only a matter of time... Trust me, see and avoid is hard enough to apply to other aircraft at times let alone something like a drone...
That is exactly what I seek to prevent. Asking people to do things to prevent extremely rare occurrences doesn't work. Putting people in prison after a mishap is a sign of a failed policy. Drones already have a return to home function - pretty simple to have a "change altitude" function if they can get the information they need to do so when it's required. The absolute risk has been outside the 6-sigma boundary for normal aviation accidents. Requiring drone makers to add ADS-B In and evasion can move that to 7 or 8-sigma.

ADS-B Out is so no one has to see anything. In the US it just isn't universally required for manned aircraft and, for some manned aircraft, is prohibited.