PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prestwick-3
Thread: Prestwick-3
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2024, 00:54
Skipness One Foxtrot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prestwick should be to Scotland what Concorde was to Britain.
No, I've not lost my mind, hear me out. (I may have lost my mind, that's for others to decide!)
It's an important employer in a region that cannot afford to lose jobs and despite everything, seems to manage an operating profit. Every once in a while, the govt. rightly decides to right debt off, as on balance it makes economic sense. We allowed Concorde to go on and make money for the private sector, PIK could be allowed to do the same. IF and only IF they can continue to make money on non Ryanair activiities, then that's a national asset that we paid to be built out of our taxes, and we should think very carefully about the consequences of closure. The spread of operations is remarkably wide and traffic is seldom dull, and there is a host of engineering and maintenance work on site that need the runway(s) !
If they finally have a working business model and it's not losing money, do the right thing for the wider econoomy and forgive the debt owed.
btw they don't need to turn the 1964 terminal into a museum, it's already there......

There can't be many older terminals than PIK now? GLA is 1966. LGW South (1958, but MUCH expanded and built out) and MAN T1 (1962) are the other survivors of that era and MAN is now approaching end of life. LHR T1 (1969) is still extant of course, but now closed .