PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hill Helicopters HX50
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2024, 00:40
wrench1

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by PowerPedal
Once the aircraft has been completed it must be maintained by licensed aircraft engineers as per normal practice.
That may be the case in your country, but in the US any aircraft issued an experimental certificate the maintenance requirements found in FAR Part 43 and Part 91 are not applicable. As such, there is no requirement to use certified mechanics to perform any maintenance or most inspections on those aircraft.

Where the required maintenance/inspection requirements are listed for an experimental, amateur-built aircraft in the US are on the Operating Limitations which are issued as part of the airworthiness certificate. And generally, those requirements are simply an annual Condition Inspection by either the builder of record, or an A&P if the owner is not the builder.

And while Hill is recommending the use of certified mechanic, in my experience there are plenty of owners who could be up to the task themselves based on the projected mx requirements of the HX50. Regardless, there is a big regulatory difference when working on an E/AB vs a TC’d aircraft.

I don’t follow the E/AB rules much outside the US, but perhaps in respect to your country, contact Hill support or your local CAA office and see if you as the builder of record could legally work on the aircraft? I believe with some countries, they follow a similar route as with the FAA in the US.

Originally Posted by PEASACAKE
Anyway enough ranting on, just my experience of owner maintenance with bent screwdrivers, worn out adjustable spanners and reusing old splitpins.
While I agree there are bad owners, I’ve found its more driven by their attitude than their skill levels. I was involved with owner-assisted maintenance as a side business on both airplanes and rotorcraft for many years. So my experience is a bit different at least in the US.

But, from what I’ve seen and been told, I think the caliber of owner attracted to the HX50 is closer to the top shelf than the bottom of the barrel variety and they will keep their aircraft properly maintained to include the two potential HX50 owners I know. But that’s just my take.

The following users liked this post: