PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hill Helicopters HX50
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2024, 18:42
PEASACAKE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=wrench1;11617239]I think this is the attitude of a large number of HX50 depositors from what I've learned. I know two people who have made deposits, where both are also current helicopter (piston) owners and non-aviation industry professionals. Both are also very involved in the maintenance of their aircraft (R44/B47) and are looking forward to being able to handle all the 50 mx requirements on their own or with minimal assistance from myself or other mechanics/shops.

Personally I dread to think of the consequences of owners maintaining their own HX50 (non mechanically minded or trained). Having been an aviation engineer since 1976, certifying for over 40 years on numerous types from basic to complex, I can only see problems arising.

Most of the younger men I know cannot even do basic maintenance on the car they are driving, even adjusting tyre pressures is to much for them , and this is a fairly complex Helicopter.

I have seen many results of bad (and / or not recorded) owner maintenance, its sends shivers down my spine even thinking of it. How many times have I experienced a "trained" pilot drain a hot piston engine of oil, then forget to refill (due to being distracted) before starting the engine up............oops.

Would not purchase a used car without full service history by a reputable garage, never mind a helicopter.

Anyway enough ranting on, just my experience of owner maintenance with bent screwdrivers, worn out adjustable spanners and reusing old splitpins.