PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commuting for SH/Regional Operators in the UK
Old 16th Mar 2024, 18:29
BaronVonBarnstormer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beaker_
Considering the SH/regional operators in the UK such as Loganair, Jet2, Easyjet etc, is it practical to commute across the country for any of these operators? i.e. If I were based in Manchester, Edinburgh etc. with a primary home in the London area and a flat share or similar close to base, then returning home for days off, would this be practical? Do any of them allow you to take a spare seat/jump seat (if available) and commuting within their route network, or would it be up to me to make my own travel arrangements? Just wondering if this would be do-able or just too exhausting...

In regards to the big orange airline there certainly are commuters. There is even a commuter letter system that combines with staff travel tickets that allow you to get around the network. Staff travel availability in itself is usually pretty reliable if you are travelling on your own. A standby ticket will allow you to sit on a crew seat with your staff ID should the flight be full. Most commuters however have a room rented near to base as you described and bite the bullet of driving up the day before a block. Caveat emptor; management don't have too much sympathy if you are a no show for a duty because of commuting problems, the same goes for adequate rest before a duty. With a little common sense however commuting works for many people.