PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hill Helicopters HX50
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2024, 17:47
wrench1

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by PowerPedal
I'm a doctor and I can't wait to go over and assemble my HX50. That is not an issue- esp for aviation enthusiasts, regardless of their day job.
I think this is the attitude of a large number of HX50 depositors from what I've learned. I know two people who have made deposits, where both are also current helicopter (piston) owners and non-aviation industry professionals. Both are also very involved in the maintenance of their aircraft (R44/B47) and are looking forward to being able to handle all the 50 mx requirements on their own or with minimal assistance from myself or other mechanics/shops.

From their point of view, they fully understand what Hill is attempting to do in developing a 100% new version of an old idea from a clean sheet of paper as they have similar experiences of the same methods in their respective industries. They also believe keeping every aspect of the 50’s design and production in-house will be the key in the long run vs relying on 3rd party vendors for components and sub-assemblies even if it ends up creating delays.

I believe once the previous Kopter expanded its reliance on outside products and articles it was the beginning of the slide that led to Leonardo buying it. It would have been interesting if Kopter had elected to pursue an E/AB version first, then worked into a certified version as Hill is doing.

Regardless, having a new, larger turbine helicopter enter the E/AB market where the popular models are the much smaller turbine Mosquito and Helicycle, it has generated a lot more interest than I thought would happen especially from existing TC turbine rotorcraft owners.