PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Network EBA
Thread: Network EBA
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2024, 00:07
ddrwk

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by walesregent
PIA might also provide a suitably strong signal to the FWC about how far pay and conditions have fallen below market value. I’m not sure whether they are moved by such things but seeing how enthusiastically the overwhelming majority of pilots went down that path speaks volumes about the current and proposed contracts. If they are paying attention it’s the smoke for the fire that will be the likely exodus of crew, and they have to consider the impact on society with these things, not just the needs of the business or employees.
Yes it might come into it. It will all come down to the arguments on either side, however as I say, the final outcome is highly unpredictable. Section 275 is the relevant section on what the FWC must take into account when determining the terms of a determination and it is worth a read.

It includes things like the merits of the case, the interests of the parties and the reasonableness of the conduct of bargaining representatives during bargaining. Importantly, 'how productivity might be improved in the enterprise' must also be taken into account.

Originally Posted by walesregent
I agree, it might not offer any value to the outcome, but, short of people leaving en masse, I don’t know how else we could have communicated just how substandard the proposals were.
I also agree on this. I have heard many times from various people in corporate who have said 'well no one is leaving so it can't be that bad.' This is an abhorrent attitude, but it is one that they believe in. I think THIS is the only language they recognise. I believe the kind of mainline applicants now show that pilots are now voting with their feet and moving for lifestyle and $$ reasons rather than the more traditional 'quick command' motivators. And the industry hasn't kept up.