PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines 737-900 MAX loses a door in-flight out of PDX
Old 15th Mar 2024, 13:28
A0283

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D Bru Interesting check and find!

Some thoughts:

- You would expect these and other results to pop up somewhere in the NTSB reports/hearings.( In the old HS door case they had iirc about 27 earlier events/finds before the fatal accident. So the zero finds originally reported in this case surprised me ).
- Personally I would add the seal issues and numbers. Seals may turn out to be more important than people expect.
- Still not clear to me how the plug is perceived from Boeing design to Spirit Malaysia to Spirit Wichita to Boeing Renton to Boeing testing at KBFI to airline operations and maintenance.
- Is a (door-)plug structure or a door or should it be a ‘1309 system’ ?
- If it is structure, why would you ever open it? And if you (a structures team?) hardly ever open it, why would you find these seal and parts/fasteners anomalies.
- If it’s a door you would expect a doors team to handle it, a team of which you would expect that pressure checking and testing is their second nature.
- Naming it a door-plug would suggest it requires both teams, which creates what you might call an ‘organisational/process interface ‘. Murphy is fond of interfaces.

Working on something else I stumbled upon an old Boeing doors manual. It has old written notes in it covering questions and answers put forward by various people in this thread. For example on setting the pins in relation to pressurisation. The manual itself was not clear enough apparently.