PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does a company pilot require an AOC?
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2024, 09:50
Squawk7700

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts
I was once aware of a non-aviation business owner that owned a 12 seat piston twin aircraft.

He was unlicensed and very unhealthy and did not have a twin rating nor a medical.

He was flying employees all over the state, up to even 8-10 at a time.

One of those employees rang an acquaintance of mine who was a commercial pilot and advised that he was very uncomfortable with boarding the aircraft for a 2 hour flight at 200 knots back to home base.

The CPL told him that he probably shouldn’t board. It put the employee in a very uncomfortable situation as he felt compelled to board to keep his job.

The employer should not be put into a position when they may feel uncomfortable and as an employee, you would reasonably expect that your employer has taken all reasonable steps to ensure a safe journey for their employees.

i wouldn’t want my employees travelling in a single engine aircraft with a PPL at the controls, it’s not fair on them or their families.

Many of these “PPL” personal company pilots that your hear of, are still CPL or ex-CPL holders with IR’s etc, which is why they are employed in the first place. Rarely does the PPL company pilot actually exist in practice, other than perhaps for the purposes of farm hand or mustering.