PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SpaceX flight testing in South Texas
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2024, 08:01
B Fraser
Tabs please !

Received 403 Likes on 240 Posts
Originally Posted by wiggy
I guess the plan is to enthuse the "likes"/ feelz generation, not the Jack King acolytes amongst us...but I'm inclined to agree that at times some of the commentators (not just those involved in SpaceX) don't appear to be on top of their brief.
Agree 100%. Even the NASA pre-packaged soundbite on a normal launch is excruciating. Why not try enthusing everyone with little known facts ? I do a few STEM talks each year (next subject, the unmanned moon landings) and have covered the history and science of rocket engines. Telling the audience that the fuel pumps of the Saturn V required 40,000 horsepower or 3 times the amount of energy of an entire Formula 1 grid, keeps the audience's attention.

Whatever happened to "the vehicle has cleared the tower" ? Maybe I'm just becoming an old fart but I would be explaining the mach shockwave pattern in the exhaust plume and why the plume changes throughout the flight. Nobody gives two hoots about "awesome", we can see that for ourselves thanks. Try explaining why the sound "crackles", you will captivate the interested and the uninterested will go back to their gaming.