PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LATAM upset SYD-AKL Mon 11 Mar
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2024, 18:54
Needle Knocker

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fox niner
It is now possible for “others” who are not in the seat, to easily operate the seat electrically.
My understanding is that the switch on the back of the seat is covered. As such, would it be accurate to say that although anyone could operate the seat, it wouldn't normally be possible for someone to operate it accidentally? (eg as in "leaning on the back of the seat whilst having a chat").

I'm also curious - given the wording "it is understood the seat movement at cruise altitude on the flight was “pilot induced, not intentionally.”" - could this be a "seat runaway" where, for example, one of the pilots returns to their seat after a restroom break (I believe this was just prior to ToD, so perhaps a good time?) - commands the seat to move forward again ("pilot induced") side switch sticks and keeps going and going and going? (thus "not intentionally").

Is there an easy way to stop a seat "runaway"? Is there a mechanical way to reposition it should a runaway occur? Is it inevitable that an average size pilot would be forced into the yoke in the event of a seat runaway?