PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 206: JetRanger and LongRanger
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2024, 11:28
RotorRick

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I've often wondered why Bell, in its infinite wisdom, decided to completely disregard decades of history with a perfectly good airframe and engine manufacturer and create the 505. It's a nice enough aircraft, but a more cost effective replacement, or even interim replacement, would have been an upgraded, modified 206 series. Add some new, more aerodynamic fairings, fix some of the existing issues, etc and release it as a evolutionary line of aircraft. Look at the 407.... still kicking... as are many more of the "Legacy" designs.

Seems to me they missed the PR boat on this one. I just read they sold the 505th 505. OK, that's something I suppose. There are advantages to the 505, flat floor, etc. But not at that price point. I was told by MANY older Bell employees at the last MRO convention that none of the older staff was even asked about the 505 design. It all happened behind closed doors far away from Texas. With decisions made my high level corporate. Needless to say, they all pretty much hate it.

If you want a Safran powered aircraft with a flat floor, buy an H125/AS series!

Besides, I find the profile of the 505 to just look like a Jimmy Durante style schnoz. But that's just my opinion.

YMMV

Rick