PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines 737-900 MAX loses a door in-flight out of PDX
Old 14th Mar 2024, 09:58
Hot 'n' High

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by D Bru
....... Most likely no involvement of Boeing's "door" people at all, because the plug wasn't removed, just opened. And closed of course, minus the bolts apparently.......
I'm not sure we can be certain either way yet and that seems to be what the NTSB is trying to determine. Depending on how "demarcated" Boeing/Spirit are I could easily see a Spirit panel-basher saying to a Boeing guy working next to them in the area "Hey, Mate, I need access to sort these rivets out. Could you do us a big favour and open that for us? I'm not too sure how you open it. No, no need to remove it as I just need access in this area so no need to take it out completely! Cheers - I owe you a beer Mate!".

Back in the day that's happened countless times to me where I've been asked to unship/completely remove an avionics box so another trade could do stuff behind it - almost always non-standard work like survey work/survey rectification work - like this was. Standard work would usually(!) call up such removal/refit/test procedures as part of the work package - non-standard work definitely wouldn't and so it would be down to me to do that. First thing I'd have to do is raise an appropriate "move iaw" or "remove iaw" entry on the Work Recording system which would then require a "refit/re-test iaw" to close it off once the other guys had finished whatever they were doing. For a move, the "iaw" would specifically reference just those parts of the full removal process carried out as (for eg), if the LRU was not disconnected, there would be no need to sign off for the "disconnect" or a subsequent "connect" and, as a result, quite often there would be no need to do a full re-test either. I'd have expected the same for the door plug - only those steps for "opening" and "re-closing" to be called up rather than a full "removal/replace".

There could even have just been confusion as to who was going to raise the paperwork but, as the person doing the work, I'd have to sign it off so, either way, I'd know the entry had been opened so that's quite unlikely - but "Murphy" works in very strange ways at times.

Last edited by Hot 'n' High; 14th Mar 2024 at 10:26.