PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines 737-900 MAX loses a door in-flight out of PDX
Old 13th Mar 2024, 17:25
D Bru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NTSB tightens the screws (no pun intended) on Boeing

https://www.ntsb.gov/news/Documents/...%20Blowout.pdf

Today NTSB chair Homendy wrote "To date, we still do not know who performed the work to open, reinstall, and close the door plug on the accident aircraft. Boeing has informed us that they are unable to find the records documenting this work." She even called CEO Calhoun, who was also aware the're absolutely no records.

Homendy further declared: "I have become increasingly concerned that the focus on the names of individual front-line workers will negatively impact our investigation and discourage such Boeing employees from providing NTSB with information relevant to this investigation. To that end, I have instructed NTSB to utilize our authority to protect the identities of the door crew and other front-line employees who come forward with information relevant to the investigation. We will also continue to actively encourage anyone who can provide our investigators with information relevant to this investigation to please reach out at [email protected]."

And it doesn't stop at that: "Additionally, today NTSB sent Boeing the enclosed reminder of the regulatory restrictions to which Boeing has agreed as a party to the NTSB investigation. For the public to perceive the investigation as credible, the investigation should speak with one voice — that being the independent agency conducting the investigation. Releasing investigative information without context is misleading to Congress and the public and undermines both the investigation and the integrity of the NTSB, which is recognized as the world’s leading accident investigation agency."

P.S.: for A0283 : yes, intuitively it should be AND/AND, but I presume that it's CMES (Boeing) that should be able to provide who's worked on the rivets (and in this case opened the plug). Even if it was Spirt's people (or subcontractor) who worked on the rivets, there's a Boeing "rivet" responsible who first assigned the deficit for rework and signed off the (ultimate) repair (remember that in the first attempt Boeing rejected the rivets as "just having been painted over"). Most likely no involvement of Boeing's "door" people at all, because the plug wasn't removed, just opened. And closed of course, minus the bolts apparently.

P.P.S.: I also read that NTSB is scheduling a public hearing in August 2024: https://www.ntsb.gov/news/press-rele...R20240312.aspx . To take out the popcorn....

P.P.P.S.: The current "cat and mouse Spiel" between NTSB and Boeing is ultimately likely to contribute to a better understanding of what constitutes a "record" demanded from aircraft builders to document their manufacturing processes.

Last edited by D Bru; 13th Mar 2024 at 21:55.