PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does a company pilot require an AOC?
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2024, 07:32
tail wheel

Received 229 Likes on 122 Posts
The only 3 stakeholders in this situation would be:
1. Me (An entry level pilot looking for the first job) (CPL(A) with 200TT). Ascend Charlie, not to offend you back, but entry level CPL jobs can be tricky to find, and this could be a great opportunity if done right.
2. Some start up company that wants to hire me as a company pilot to fly them around
3. The local aircraft hire company that only provides the aircraft, you pay them after the flight based on VDO or airswitch, fuel charges, air services etc.

As some one mentioned above, if you ask three CASA employees the category of operation you will get at least four different answers, with a fair chance none would be correct. When the "new" CASR's and the other manuals etc required exceeded the aircraft payload, I lost interest in keeping up.

Some years ago CASA decided the Veterinarian who owns an aircraft and flies himself in the course of his work with his tools of trade, would be aerial work, requiring an AOC and a commercial pilot license. Ditto the outback mechanic, electrician etc. Many years ago there was a case of a photographer in Far North Queensland who owned a small aircraft and took photos of properties and sold the photos. CASA decided he needed an Aerial Work AOC and a CPL pilot/Chief Pilot. CASA took him to Court and won.

I am no longer familiar with the new Regulations and Orders but I believe what you outline above now constitutes a private operation.

Insurance may be an issue but if you private hire from a private owner or a flying school, whilst you hold a current CPL I don't believe there would be any insurance issues but the aircraft owner may need to nominate you as pilot on the insurance.

And remember, PPRuNe is just "the internet" not CASA. Any opinions expressed may be spot on or a load of bull sh*t. Caveat Emptor.
The following users liked this post: