PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Veteran's Cards
Thread: Veteran's Cards
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2024, 20:24
diginagain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Scribbly
Long time lurker here: I work in the NHS and if you identify yourself as having a military connection (serving, veteran, spouse, children etc) you get referred to the Defence Medical Welfare Service who are ace and will make sure you are looked after appropriately. This could be treating you in a better way if you have PTSD relating to hospitals, or would rather not have a beeping machine, or if your partner is deployed and you are struggling to get to appointments with your kids in tow and no childcare. Whatever it is that military life has made harder for your appointment/treatment the NHS & DMWS will try to sort it out, but only if they know you are military. So a pin badge helps (I wear mine on my lanyard in case anyone spots it and wants me to help) and maybe a card would too? All patients are supposed to get asked on their arrival whether they have a military connection but it doesn't always happen.
I'm pleased to learn that you work in an NHS Trust that knows what it means to be a 'Veteran Aware' Trust. I work in a 'Veteran Aware' Trust - one of the founding 53 - that doesn't have a clue, and despite re-accrediting with VCHA 18 months ago shows little interest in supporting Armed Forces community staff or patients.
The following users liked this post: