PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seeking Guidance on Color Vision Deficiency for Aspiring Pilot in Hong Kong Hello fe
Old 11th Mar 2024, 17:01
Gf0rce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeking Guidance on Color Vision Deficiency for Aspiring Pilot in Hong Kong Hello fe

Hello fellow aviators,

I hope this message finds you well. I'm reaching out to seek advice and insights from the experienced members of this community, especially those who have faced or overcome color vision deficiency challenges.

Last summer, I applied for the Cathay Pacific Cadet Programme and progressed to the final interview, but was deferred for 6 months. Before reapplying, I sought advice from experienced pilots who recommended undergoing a medical check, given my concerns about color deficiency (mild deutan deficiency).

In the process of applying for my Class 1 medical, I encountered challenges, such as failing the Ishihara test, Optec 900, and Color Assessment Diagnostic Test. However, I did pass the Farnsworth flashlight test, which unfortunately is not accepted by the Civil Aviation Department of Hong Kong.

However, just when I was about to give up, I learnt from an ophthalmologist and bearbear8888's posts that there is still a last resort of doing an OCVT+MFT option to prove my airworthiness.

As an aspiring pilot in Hong Kong with no flight experience, I'm at a crossroads. Should I continue pursuing the Class 1 medical certificate independently, or should I consider applying for the cadet programme first and deal with color deficiency concerns once in the pipeline?

I'm eager to hear your thoughts and experiences on the latest updates regarding aviation regulations for color-deficient candidates, especially in Hong Kong. What steps can we take, and what might be the most effective approach to navigate through these challenges?

Thank you for your time and insight