PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Zoltan Beldi Passed
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2024, 08:46
Bolshie

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Brian, I do remember you but not to look at. I was four years old when we moved form Whyalla to Adelaide because of Tom's bronchitis but you're the only one of Zeeb's mates from those days that I recall, probably because you guys were pretty much inseperable. Zoltan spoke fondly (for him) of you from time to time, and I think I have a photo somewhere of a somewhat modified Chipmunk that I believe you were responsible for. I remember Zeeb saying you were in the Fleet Air Arm and quick search of Trove finds you looking disreputable in Vietnam among other places. I heard you flew Buccaneers somwhere along the line as well. Colour me impressed!
I got my love of aviation from Zoltan very early in the piece. He built my first Airfix model for me, a Westland Whirlwind with a couple of Peregrines and no rotor. I just got worse from there. I served in the Army from 1975 to 81 and went to work for Zoltan with GeoMetrics when I got out. He punished me by making me sit in the back of an Islander (VH-FLD) but I soon felt the call of study and became a teacher of History and eventually IT. I worked for Zeeb on and off until about 2000 when I went into IT suppoert full time. Zoltan's move to Perth meant that I lost touch with him except for the occasional phone call and rare visit. His stroke basically meant that any communication with him had to go through his wife from than on.
I do miss him. He was a character and a mentor throughout my life. Thanks for putting the photo of the two of you up. I'd never seen it before and the resemblance to me at that age is uncanny. I trust that you're in reaonable health. Please stay safe.