PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reversing an engine during Fire Warning operation.
Old 28th Jan 2004, 19:01
Propellerhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're entitiled to your opinion forget, but the AAIB spent months even years investigating the facts of the accident and are not afraid to come up with controversial findings (such as there ongoing battle to fit smokehoods in all cabins). Who are you to sit there and dismiss their findings and pass judgement based on only a rudimentary knowledge of the facts?

I think there have been some other very good posts on this topic and I think RTOs are one of the most emotive topics becaus it is the one instance in an airline pilots job where an instant decision is required in about 1 sec (a 2 sec delay causes a 400ft over-run!), often under great stress and fear (see alf's post). There is no time for discussion, thought, reflection, review. Its go / no go. That's why the SOPs are written and why V1 is so important.

As someone said, if you here a loud bang from one side it could be all the tyres exploding, in which case the brakes are not going to stop you before you go off the end of the runway. All engines in reverse will be a big help in this case.

The Boeing FCTM states :
"Simultaneously close the thrust levers and apply max brakes....Rapidly raise the speedbrakes and apply max reverse thrust consistent with the conditions". Maintain reverse thrust and braking until runway length remaining permits transition to normal landing roll procedure".

Where it says 'consistent with the conditions' I take this to mean runway and crosswind conditions (ie on a slippery runway and strong crosswind directional control may not be able to be maintained with full reverse).