PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WWII takeoff in P51 land return in a FW190
Old 10th Mar 2024, 22:34
havoc

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts
WWII takeoff in P51 land return in a FW190

The WWII-Era Incident That Saw Pilot Bruce W. Carr Take Off In An American P-51 and Return In a German Fw 190 (msn.com)

The WWII-Era Incident That Saw Pilot Bruce W. Carr Take Off In An American P-51 and Return In a German Fw 190 ŠProvided by War History OnlineThroughout the Second World War, skilled aviators demonstrated extraordinary prowess in the skies over Europe and the Pacific, with the title of "flying ace" symbolizing the pinnacle of achievement in the cockpit. Among this famed group, one pilot stands out with exceptional distinction.

Bruce W. Carr is celebrated for his remarkable legacy, holding the rare honor of being one of only two pilots in the US Army Air Forces (USAAF) who leave for a combat mission in an American aircraft and safely return in one operated by the Luftwaffe.FW190

Born in New York, Bruce Carr was just 15 years old when the Second World War broke out in 1939. Motivated by the events of that year, the teenager made a firm commitment to master the art of flying.

Jump ahead three years to September 3, 1942, and Carr, now 18, enthusiastically enlisted in the US Army Air Forces. Using his prior aviation experience, he joined the service's accelerated training program, ascending into the skies aboard the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk.

On August 30, 1943, Carr attained the rank of flight officer, amassing an impressive 240 flight hours. His expertise extended to specialized training, enabling him to pilot both the North American P-51 Mustang and A-36 Apache. The former, in particular, held a special place in his preferences, earning the endearing nickname, Angels' Playmate.

In 1944, Carr found himself stationed in England as a member of the 380th Fighter Squadron, 363rd Fighter Group, Ninth Air Force at RAF Rivenhall. His initial triumph against enemy aircraft came after a determined pursuit and firefight, resulting in the downing of a Messerschmitt Bf 109. However, he didn't receive credit, due to unmet technical criteria for a confirmed takedown.

This bold and assertive approach singled Carr out as a pilot of a distinct nature, a reputation that led his superiors to categorize his actions as "overaggressive." As a consequence, he was reassigned to the 353rd Squadron, 354th Fighter Group, based at RAF Lashenden.

November 2, 1944, was the day Bruce Carr faced the heart-wrenching loss of his beloved P-51D. While leading a strafing mission on a German airfield in Czechoslovakia, he confronted the grim reality of his aircraft's imminent failure and chose to bail out well within enemy territory.

Incredibly, he managed to evade capture for several days, showcasing his resourcefulness and resilience in the face of adversity.

Even though Carr managed to elude capture, he faced the harsh reality of being without food or water, prompting him to consider surrendering. Knowing of a nearby airfield, he made his way there, intending to give himself up.

Upon arriving, he stumbled upon a crew preparing a German Focke-Wulf Fw 190 for flight. Discarding his original plan, Carr decided to bide his time until the crew left before seizing the opportunity to quietly board the aircraft unnoticed.

Carr made a concerted effort to decipher the inner workings of the Fw 190, even though the labels and instructions were written in German. His determination paid off. Once he had the opportunity, he took off without encountering any opposition or even drawing any noticeable attention from others.

Departing German territory was relatively easy, thanks to Carr's aircraft having German markings. However, the return to Allied airspace in France proved to be a formidable task. Upon reentry, he was immediately met with enemy fire. Determined to reach his base, Carr opted to fly at the lowest feasible altitude and maximum speed. This strategy proved effective. However, by the time he arrived, his radio had ceased to function.

In rather dramatic fashion, Carr executed a landing on the base's field without extending his landing gear and slid to a halt. The accounts vary, with some sources suggesting he deliberately refrained from deploying them, while others indicate he may not have been aware of the proper procedure.

It didn't take long for individuals to attempt to forcibly remove Carr, mistaking him for a hostile German pilot, from the cockpit. However, he remained securely strapped into his seat. As he later recounted:

"I started throwing some good Anglo-Saxon swear words at them, and they let loose while I tried to get the seat belt undone. But my hands wouldn't work and I couldn't do it. Then they started pulling on me again because they still weren't convinced I was an American. I was yelling and hollering. Then, suddenly, they let go, and a face drops down into the cockpit in front of mine. It was my Group Commander: George R. Bickel."

Bickel had just one question for the pilot: "Carr, where in the hell have you been, and what have you been doing now?"

Despite this daring escape, Carr continued to fly and served throughout the remainder of World War II. By the conflict's conclusion, he'd become a triple ace, credited with 15 aerial victories over 172 combat missions.

After World War II came to an end, Bruce Carr remained with the US Army Air Forces as it became the US Air Force. Initially, he was assigned to fly the Lockheed F-80 Shooting Star as part of the Acrojets, America's first jet-powered aerobatic demonstration team. They were stationed out of Williams Air Force Base, Arizona.

During the Korean War, the now-Maj. Carr flew with the 336th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron on an impressive 57 missions, before taking over as the commanding officer of the squadron between January 1955 and August 1956.

Promoted yet again, Col. Carr later served in the Vietnam War, where he flew with the 31st Tactical Fighter Wing out of the Tuy Hoa Air Base. He primarily flew on close air support missions in the North American F-100 Super Sabre, racking up a whopping 286 combat missions during his deployment.

More from us: The American Air Ace Shot Down By Friendly Fire During the Battle of the Bulge

In 1973, Carr retired from the Air Force. For his service in three wars, he was awarded an impressive number of medals, including the Distinguished Service Cross, the Legion of Merit, the Silver Star, 31 Air Medals and four Distinguished Flying Crosses. In 1998, he passed away from prostate cancer and was buried in Arlington National Cemetery.