PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NPAS News 2024
Thread: NPAS News 2024
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2024, 21:49
vortexadminman

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gipsymagpie
Type approved engineers and service centres can be grown of course. The mass limit is set in stone and just kills the machine dead once you do the sums (unless you're in Canada who allow max weight). It also is worth noting that French Air Ambulance operators sold off some of their Bell 429 recently (F-HBEL and F-HBEK) and are not buying ones to replace them. The Swiss ones (extra one bought recently) are a special case due to the operating environment at high altitude (the power/payload scales get tipped a little differently when you operate at height). Also worth noting the lack of uptake of the machine for Air Ambulance in the UK except by Wilts. I'd say the H145 is the sweet spot, particularly given the imminent introduction of a UK simulator for the type.

Slightly disagree with this one line Gipsy "Type approved engineers and service centres can be grown of course.:" the complexity and training burdens not to mention cost means those engineers we all love and rely on and getting quiet rare. Sadly in a way the good days of extra work and things people do to keep the whole operation running has become the normal because good people with a work ethic subject to none, has become so expected by the employer. Things people used to do so much which is not written in to their contract be that in hours, effort or just they want to make it work and are committed to make this machine work. I am not saying for one second that the new engineers/pilots/ops people are any different to any of us older types, and are committed as we are, and I enjoy working with them ( plus there all over this computer stuff which I am not) But I do think employers need to give their head a wobble if they think these guys/girls are daft enough not to think "I worked 13 hrs yesterday freezing my body parts off , and now Ive got HR calling me at 0900 to tell me my need to do my mandatory training, and finance has said my claim for lunch cant not be read as its too faint.............