PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - location scouting for new heli tour company
Old 10th Mar 2024, 10:38
Ascend Charlie

Received 228 Likes on 104 Posts
In the 90s I started a tour called the Four Club Day - 4 golfers in a B 206, we provide small bags and they can only bring 4 clubs with them. It was interesting to see which clubs were chosen by players of differing handicaps, most left the putter behind and used their driver.

We also did 9 holes at one course, had lunch there, and then flew to the next course for the next 9.

Naturally I sussed out the courses from the ground first, to choose landing spots and enthusiastic club managers. It was a real hoot to fly, and the players would usually ask me to join them, mug that I am. We saw a lot of excellent courses on these tours. BUT... these days the NIMBYs would make it very difficult to repeat.

Our company also had the best money-spinner around, the pub crawl by helicopter. Launch out of Sydney, scoot along the beaches to land at Wollombi in the Hunter Valley, where the guests were treated to Dr Jurd's Jungle Juice and a selection of beers. Then fly to the Small Winemakers vineyard for wine tastings and a slap-up lunch. Back in the chopper for a gallop over the bushland to St Albans pub, an old stone building on the stage coach route to Newcastle. Some more sherbets there, then fly home. Strict instructions regarding alcohol consumption and behaviour, only had to warn one (Pommy) passenger and threaten to leave him behind.