PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines 737-900 MAX loses a door in-flight out of PDX
Old 9th Mar 2024, 20:33
tdracer

Received 199 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by WHBM
Any review of a process in fine detail normally has multiple routes to cross-identify something. There will be the report of whoever initially identified the problem. There will be a trail of who determined the fix, assigned the workers, parts issued from stores, completion records, etc. Given that Boeing supposedly has some of the most modern manufacturing and tracking procedures around, do the repair teams take before and after photographs of their work ? There will be payroll timesheets of those who did the work on the day. Plus a whole lot more. One might be missing. Are we saying that Boeing have NONE of this ? Even if someone went in and shredded them all right after the accident, where are the duplicates and computer backup records ?

And if none of this exists, can we even be certain that the door was removed and reinstalled at all ? Did the bolts get left off somewhere else ? Did Alaska work on it ? Did it come out from Spirit in Wichita like that ?
Repeating myself her (multiple times), but I'm becoming increasingly convinced that someone used a sematic 'loophole', and said they were opening a door instead of removing a door plug. No paperwork required to open a door.
What needs investigation is why did someone do this - pressure from above, or a lazy mechanic. If it was as simple as someone being lazy to avoid the paperwork, I'd think termination would be in order (assuming of course they know who the responsible mechanic was).