PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United 777 drops wheel during takeoff KSFO
Old 9th Mar 2024, 02:31
aeromech3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just for info: Jacking a wide body airliner for wheel change, if the tyre is flat a crocodile style jack is needed to get under the bogie (truck). The video shows the centre wheel change which is why 2x jacks are required (jacking point near each end of truck) on other non six wheelers only one jack normally required; on wide-body mains almost impossible to jack using a handle, even 2 mtr long and two mechanics, instead these jacks have an air driven motor and yes MechEng correct info, best plan is the adapter hose from the old tyre to the jack, otherwise LP air bottles; these tyres would be in the 200psi+ range and filled with nitrogen
Of the B737, B727, B767, and B777 the B727-200 main wheel tyre is the biggest I have come across and was inflated to about 190psi. Normally after workshop assembly the tyre is fully inflated, placed in a steel cage for a 24hr leak test, the rubber expands a little and cooling causes some pressure loss, then for storage it is deflated to about 50%.
Bosi72, steel, multiplate brakes, have a lot of clearances for expansion etc, and can be segmented like a jig saw puzzle, as the rotors flop around with wheel rotation, they do contact the stators, hence noise, I know next to nothing about Cessna wheels; carbon brakes are a lot quieter.
On my last B747-400 spec circa 2004, the tire pressure monitor was an option, it has plus and minus points in my mind, as no flight engineer to kick the tyre on walk about and the large difference in pressure between cold and hot destinations can cause quite a lot of confusion for the crew (same with my Mini Cooper S giving me distracting warnings and requiring the car to be driven to get a reading ugh!). Example I inflate wide-body main tyre to 190psi in Arabian Gulf, aircraft arrives in Manchester UK, overnight check finds tyre at 170psi, inflated, plane arrives back in Arabia tyre pressure 205psi and so it goes on and on.
Just found this: