PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 206: JetRanger and LongRanger
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2024, 22:17
FH1100 Pilot

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
The beauty...genius, really...of the original 206 was that the designers thought to put the transmission over the back seat, *and* tilt the mast forward - two things that the designers at Hiller did not do with the model 1100 (nor did the German designers do with the BO-105). The 206 design brings some structural compromises, like necessitating the infamous bulkhead between the front and back seats. Still, a 206B is almost impossible to get out of c.g. If you run scenarios of "most FWD" and "most AFT" c.g. with a B-model you'll see what I mean. Even a skinny little 170-pound pilot flying by himself can take almost 100 pounds in the baggage compartment and still be okay. When I saw the 505, I knew that there would be unavoidable c.g. problems with it. Which is why Bell could stretch the 206A/B-model into the L-model but we never could do the same with the FH1100. And don't think we didn't try. I'm not familiar with the R-66 but I'd be curious as to how they handle the c.g. difference between a pilot flying solo to a location to pick up four fatties. So I'm with Nigel - the 206 rules!