PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing at X-Roads?
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2024, 01:42
remi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tdracer
IIRC, the current training for unreliable Air Data was a result of the Aeroperu accident - hard to fault the crew for failing to use training they never got.
Also, again IIRC, there was very limited visibility at the time - although I do wonder why they didn't look at Radio Altimeter before they flew into the ocean...
It's a situation where the pilots did their best given their understanding of the situation, but where lack of understanding or lack of proper response by other entities resulted in great loss of life and/or people flying around in a doomed aircraft pondering their mortality. Those bother me.

The JAL 123 accident bothers me not because the pilots didn't do their best but because Japanese authorities let injured pax who MIRACULOUSLY survived uncontrolled flight into a mountainside lie on the ground and die with an oafish SAR response.

Alaska because if the pilots had understood what was wrong with the airplane, and they came tantalizingly close, they probably could have landed it.

And AeroPeru because there were common sense things that just didn't get done and there was an agonizingly long opportunity to take stock and greatly simplify the situation.