PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'stuck' rudder pedal during landing roll out; Boeing 737 MAX 8
Old 7th Mar 2024, 22:27
EXDAC

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK
Does anyone know what that's a reference to ?
I would assume it's the rollout guidance servo.

"The NTSB further reported:

Post-incident troubleshooting and inspection of the rudder control system found no obvious malfunctions with the system or any of its components whose failure would have resulted in the restricted movement observed during flight 1539 and the test flight. As a precaution, the aft rudder input torque tube and associated upper and lower bearings and the rudder rollout guidance servo were removed for further examination by the NTSB systems group.

On February 28, 2024, the Systems group met at the Collins Aerospace facility in Cedar Rapids, Iowa to examine and test the SVO-730 rollout guidance servo removed from the incident airplane. The testing was conducted to evaluate the effects that temperature “cold soaking” of the servo might have on the torque required to move the servo’s output crank arm. Testing at room temperature found that the torque to rotate the servo’s output crank arm was within design specifications. The unit was then “cold soaked” for 1 hour and the test was repeated. That testing found that the torque to move the servo’s output crank arm was significantly beyond the specified design limits. Because the servo output crank arm is mechanically connected to the rudder input torque tube, the restricted movement of the servo’s output crank arm would prevent the rudder pedals from moving as observed during flight 1539 and the test flight. Further examination of the SVO-730 rollout guidance servo will be conducted as the investigation continues."

I don't know this aircraft or its systems but I assume a rollout guidance servo would only be fitted for customers who purchased Cat IIIb autoland.