PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Veteran's Cards
Thread: Veteran's Cards
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2024, 16:59
BEagle

Received 319 Likes on 115 Posts
As many will doubtless recall, the summer of 1976 was very hot! One fine day in August I was tasked to fly a Hunter F6A from Brawdy to Leuchars so that they could swap some bits of the jet with another which needed them - a drop tank or something. So I stuck a couple of ERCs together and fabloned them, then snipped the work of art into a convenient size.

Up in the high-20s, I was pointing north-eastish in conversation with the air traffickers when I decided to consult the chart I'd lovingly crafted. But a combination of a sweltering cockpit and the fact that my old jet leaked like a sieve had conspired to expand the air which I must have trapped under the fablon, lifting it off the chart so that half the detail became illegible. Fortunately military radar and the dubious benefit of the odd Eur7 beacon soon had me close enough to Leuchars for them to point me at the runway!

I was able to stab the balloon chart into reasonable legibility as I waited for my jet to be turned, then off back to Brawdy! Where I was asked to do half-a-dozen instrument approaches to help cat a new air trafficker - such fun in the heat of the summer of '76!
The following users liked this post: