PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Industry - Too old??
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2004, 16:02
six-sixty

Location: European Administrative Area (Western District and Islands)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr M, that's a pretty tough story. Being in the exact position you're talking about i.e. just about to chuck in said job to go down the exact same path. I've got a few questions for you:

1. When you talk about "airlines" are you talking about all operators large and small? For example I don't really want jets, I'd rather work on smaller turboprops. Is the picture the same there?

2. We know from these boards that there are people who manage to break in at our autumnal stage of life - from what you have seen are the people that make it the people with an inside track (e.g. family on the inside)?

3. On the type rating issue, from your asking around have you got a feeling from them that they may take you on if you had one (I know this is an emotive issue on these boards!)

4. How much of the lack of job offers do you think is down to the industry downturn as opposed to your age?

You've obviously had a tough time of it and I hope you get your break very soon. Though you are not going to put me off personally (because I have the dosh and it's been a lifelong longing), if I was in the same position and had to borrow then I'd definitely be reconsidering.

S-S