PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brit pilots working in the USA
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2024, 00:47
B2N2

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenny
I’ve spent the last 25 years living as an expat in the US&A. For the last 9 years, I’ve been at United and currently work at the training center in Denver, teaching on the 777. So, I’ve had a front seat view of the new hire training, particularly on the 777.

We’d give you an interview inside a week of applying. Not quite but your CV would move to the interview stack very very quickly. New hire assignments change from week to week. We had a huge amount of new hires being assigned to the 777 last year but that has dropped right off. So expecting the 777 as a new hire, is unlikely. More likely is the 737/320 as an FO or if it floats your boat, you can bid for a Captain position on either but still have to do about 9 months as an FO before actually sitting in the seat. Your experience will get you an interview but you still have to get the 121 experience in order to upgrade.

Flying a plane is flying a plane but operating in the US can be totally different from operating anywhere else in the world. We have former Captains from EK, EY, CX and other long haul operators from all over the world, who have joined over the last two years. Without exception they’ve not only brought a huge amount of experience to the operation but also, more importantly, a good attitude. Don’t come if you’re not able to accept that they do things their way and have done for decades. I can’t speak for other carriers but we are trying to make a concerted effort to become more ICAO compliant but it will take time. If anyone thinks they’re going to be able to join a US carrier, jump in the left seat of a WB and simply do things the way they did at their previous operator, they’re in for a very rude awakening. There is a cultural difference that you can’t fail to appreciate. I’m not aiming this at you LS but it’s a general comment for the peanut gallery.

At UAL the 777/787 are the most senior aircraft for the left seat. Captains are easily making mid to high $400’s at a minimum depending on their seniority within their respective fleet and how much they choose to fly. Currently, the most junior Captain on the 777 is about a 5000 number and we have about 16500 active pilots. Retirements really start ramping up this year and continue for about the next 6 years at a minimum, so anyone joining now will have to wait around 10 years to get the 777/787 as a Captain. If Boeing hadn’t completely c0cked up the 737 & 787 deliveries, this would probably drop by about 3 years.

I’d be surprised if it was any different at DAL in terms of getting a WB left seat. Especially as United has more WB than DAL and AA combined. You have to pay your dues with time and possibly luck with timing but seniority rules everything. There are no short cuts. Life is extremely good right now but as I tell the youngsters who’ve joined United in the last 3 years after only flying an RJ for a few years, this is unprecedented and could end in the blink of an eye. Don’t take it for granted.
This and all of this ^^^
All fact and no conjecture.
Thread could have been closed after this answer.
With the attitude that you hold a Command now and should deserve a Command in the US you’ll get roasted……roasted.