PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing at X-Roads?
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2024, 00:23
Nick H.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CNN headline: ‘I want to get off the plane.’ The passengers refusing to fly on Boeing’s 737 Max"Ed Pierson was flying from Seattle to New Jersey in 2023, when he ended up boarding a plane he’d never wanted to fly on. The Seattle resident booked with Alaska Airlines last March, purposefully selecting a flight with a plane he was happy to board – essentially, anything but a Boeing 737 Max. “I got to the airport, checked again that it wasn’t the Max. I went through security, got coffee. I walked onto the plane – I thought, it’s kinda new,” Pierson told CNN. “Then I sat down and on the emergency card [in the seat pocket] it said it was a Max.” He got up and walked off. “A flight attendant was closing the front door. I said, ‘I wasn’t supposed to fly the Max.’ She was like, ‘What do you know about the Max?,’” he said. “I said, ‘I can’t go into detail right now, but I wasn’t planning on flying the Max, and I want to get off the plane.’” Pierson made it to New Jersey – after some back and forth, he said, Alaska’s airport staff rebooked him onto a red-eye that evening on a different plane. Spending the whole day in the airport was worth it to avoid flying on the Max, he said.

Pierson has a unique and first-hand perspective of the aircraft, made by Boeing at its Renton factory in the state of Washington. Now the executive director of airline watchdog group Foundation for Aviation Safety, he served as a squadron commanding officer among other leadership roles during a 30-year Naval career, followed by 10 years at Boeing – including three as a senior manager in production support at Renton itself, working on the 737 Max project before its launch.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rest of the article is worse from Boeing's point of view, with discouraging poll numbers. https://edition.cnn.com/travel/boein...ott/index.html

'If it's Boeing, I'm not going.'