PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow S92 down west of Bergen Norway
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2024, 10:10
helispotter

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by snakepit
On the video the aircraft is initially inverted on the seabed, then the footage changes to it upright but still on the seabed. At 1:13 to run you can clearly see the aircraft now upright and the twin hoist is separated from the hoist support strut with the outboard hook missing. It is possible that the missing hook was ripped off when the hoist mount was damaged. It is also possibly that the hoist frame was used to right the fuselage, though why they then attempted the fuselage recovery using the undercarriage I cannot guess? Possible the video is not stitched together chronologically?
Snakepit: I assume the video to which you refer is that contained in the article link provided by 212man in post #112? That video shows the salvage operation didn't go smoothly. From 00:06 it seems like all three of the undercarriage units are intact with the S-92 inverted on the seabed. It looks like they originally tried to lift it out of the water that way with a sling around each oleo. But at 00:10 it is apparent the wheels had already been pulled off the starboard (right) oleo by the sling connected to it since they are swinging in the breeze. Not clear at what point that undercarriage failed under the strain. Then, as they tried to pull the helicopter above the water (with all the water still trapped in the fuselage), the port (left) wheels / oleo also give way (00:26), leaving only the strap attached to the nose wheel. The helicopter rapidly starts to sink again. My guess is that the strap attached to the nose wheel subsequently also failed, unless it was cut free once helicopter settled back on the seabed. Perhaps on second time around, helicopter was instead resting upright (the footage seen earlier in video, not in chronological order), so obvious choice would then have been to lift it by the main rotor hub. Once lifted free of the water, only the front undercarriage is still in 'one piece' with part of the lifting sling still attached to it.

I see in #132, 206Fan indicated a video of salvage is also posted to Facebook. Perhaps it is the same as in #112, or a more extended version, but it is necessary to join the group to access it.

I wonder whether this S-92 is now only still suitable as a source of spare parts? If so, I hope none of the drivetrain parts critical to flight safety find their way back onto any operational helicopter.
The following users liked this post: