PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brit pilots working in the USA
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2024, 08:36
Gordomac

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Drifted off a bit but on time to Command in BA, I agree with all Hamsters and other joiners of the 60's. Time toi Command was about 20 years. That is why many of us left. There was a period when BA started franchises etc. I know of chaps who went off to Atlas out of somewhere in the Midlands on B747, had BA painted on the side and called themselves BA Captains. Those who joined as DEC FO were quickly upgraded. Same with the A320 franchises.

C'mon Lady S. Bit bored are we? Too many in this camp know quite a lot. 11 years to LHS ? Many doubting. BA Mainline- no chance. You appear to flip flop too at a rate that would make Sir Keir proud. One minute where off to the USA,, no probs anywhere, then, pursuaded by Prune to forget that swift Direct track to glory and focus on another very swift route in another National Legacy carrier. Probably speak French and know Macron personally.

My worry is the flip flop decision making, now settling on TRE because of money might have a factor on more serious decision making that is requitred in the real world of LHS operations.

Back to thread though. Of course, all hinges on having the right to live AND work in the US BEFORE you go chasing after the licence .

I did chase the USA dream and even looked at squeezing in through Canada but they were as daft as the Americans boiling down to the official take ; Look, get the right to live & work and if licenced, we will hire you. But Embassy came back with, No, get the job offer and we will then give you the visa ! No visa, no job. NO job, no visa. Er. I pulled out of negotiations.

Occasionally, there has been back-door, nudge,nudge, ways. I recall one advert in Flt Mag where some Californian Flight school wanted Instructors.. Visa, work-permit, FAA licencing, all provided. I know ONE who went. After several marriages, partnership breaks, almost bankrupt, he DID wind up with Delta. Had a nice address in Malibu and I am overcome with total envy, decades later. Right place, right time and boy did he take the risk and boy did it cost. Oooooooh but I HATE him !