PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow S92 down west of Bergen Norway
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2024, 19:08
Lonewolf_50

Received 425 Likes on 267 Posts
Originally Posted by 60FltMech
Lonewolf, I’m assuming if you were starting the APU for winching ops for utility hydraulics, the hoist motors were powered by hydraulics? Us Army H-60 hoists are all electric now, though I think in the past some were hydraulic and Navy systems may still be?
It's been a couple of decades. I'll see what the (very old) CH-60S NATOPS has in it.
EDIT::
2.23 RESCUE HOIST SYSTEM {my note: sometime in the 00's}
{snip} The hoist is hydraulically powered by the backup hydraulic pump. Speed is variable from 0 to 215 fpm for the Breeze-Eastern and 0 to 250 fpm for the Lucas-Western hoist. {snip} The hoist contains 200 feet of usable cable, a guillotine-type cable cutter, and an automatic cable brake. The first and last 20 feet of the cable are bright orange to warn of end approach. The hoist hook is attached to the cable end by a ball-bearing swivel.
Power to operate the rescue hoist system is supplied by the No. 2 dc primary bus through the RSQ HOIST CONTR circuit breaker. Backup (emergency) hoist operation is powered by the dc essential bus through the RSQ HOIST AUX CTRL circuit breaker.
I may have been superimposing my Seahawk memory on my Blackhawk memory, though. The SH-60B's were sun-downed a decade ago and that's what I flew a good while before that.
Remember also that the battery utility bus powers the fire suppression system for #1 Eng and APU, converted AC power to the DC primary bus is required for the #2 Eng fire suppression to work.
Yep, thanks for the refresher on systems.

As to the S-92, does it use an electric motor for its hoist, or does it also use hydraulic power?

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 5th Mar 2024 at 19:20.