PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow S92 down west of Bergen Norway
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2024, 16:56
albatross

Received 156 Likes on 78 Posts
APU use.

As I vaguely recall:
Re APU use.
If you are landing offshore for a rotors running turn around AND are planning to go to idle you start the APU pre-landing. We did not usually go to idle. Not going to Idle. —- APU not required.
If for some reason you were doing a lot of quick inter-rig stuff and had to go to idle you just kept the APU running. Of course not exceeding the APU Running VNE of 150 Kts.
If you are going to shut down you start the APU. ( It would be embarrassing to have a hot shutdown and not be able to motor the starter.)
Landing back at base you start the APU when taxing off the runway in to your spot.
Landing at an airport away from base start the APU, shutdown the engines leave the APU running if you are just going to fuel, load. and go.

Before start you start the APU to get the Air conditioning or heating running and do all checklist items up to the actual start.

Electrical problems …start the APU.

If it is SOP to have the APU up and running during SAR hoisting I have no idea.

One question I have asked many times is why you would select gear-down for ditching. ( being an bush float guy in another life—-why would you want gear down causing drag and a nose down pitching movement. if you want to blow it down after landing you could do that the gear is not going to foul the floats.) is it perhaps because of the location of the immersion switches?

Last edited by albatross; 6th Mar 2024 at 14:48.