PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow S92 down west of Bergen Norway
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2024, 15:19
60FltMech

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts
Lonewolf, I’m assuming if you were starting the APU for winching ops for utility hydraulics, the hoist motors were powered by hydraulics? Us Army H-60 hoists are all electric now, though I think in the past some were hydraulic and Navy systems may still be?

Remember also that the battery utility bus powers the fire suppression system for #1 Eng and APU, converted AC power to the DC primary bus is required for the #2 Eng fire suppression to work.

I used to question this lack of redundancy but it’s probably the best compromise in systems design to handle the most likely scenarios for dealing with fires, meaning a situation that ends up with your #2 engine on fire with no converted AC power to fight it means a lot more has gone wrong in your day than just a #2 engine fire.

I think you pointed out, a situation that droops the rotors below 90% that kicks off both generators or cascading failure of the AC electrical system (both AC generators and the APU generators all failing together), would seem unlikely and a power on ditching is probably what happened in this situation, so it becomes more of a possibility of a human factors or SOP issue why the floats weren’t deployed than a systems failure.

FltMech