PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow S92 down west of Bergen Norway
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2024, 10:01
212man

Received 344 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by HeliComparator
Well that seems quite categoric, a badly designed system lacking in sensible real world analysis, that probably cost someone their life. And nobody saw fit to complain in the preceding 20 years.
I think you have jumped to a conclusion that does not bear close scrutiny. I think the only scenario your comment holds true for, is that the floats were armed but there was a fault in the electrical circuit that prevented the AFDS from functioning, where a second Batt Bus circuit would/might have mitigated. Given that we have established that the Generators remain on line (and hence the DC Buses are powered) down to 80% Nr, I find it completely implausible that this aircraft touched down with the Nr below that value, with the absence of damage we see.

I guess there is one key question - was the ditching intentional or unintentional? If the former, then I would not expect the crew to rely on AFDS anyway and would fire the floats manually before touchdown. If unintentionally, then I suspect the balance of probability is that the floats were not armed.

Interestingly, i this article is quotes the investigators as saying they believe there was a technical failure, but I also wonder if his comments have not translated well:https://www.nrk.no/vestland/havariko...tra-1.16788445 (use Chrome for automatic translation)

After the press conference at Haakonsvern on Monday, NRK directs questions to Halvorsen specifically about this.

- The helicopter depends on the floats to stay afloat, given that it ends up on the lake. It is so that people can get out within a reasonable time, and so that the helicopter can stay afloat on a straight keel, explains Halvorsen and states:

- Here it has not done so, and we do not know why the floating elements have not come out. That is one of the things we will look into.

- So it's a technical failure?

- Many points to technical failure, without us knowing what lies behind the technical failure. We now hope that the tachograph will contain data that can provide answers to the floats. It will be important to ensure the safety of those who are out flying