PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow S92 down west of Bergen Norway
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2024, 15:28
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 212man
I just looked through my very old training manual (2006 FSI) and, of course, it does not describe the electrical circuits for the floats! It does show, however, that for the liferaft jettison there are both DC Primary and Battery Bus circuits, implying you can jettison the liferafts with just the battery, so it seems odd that the floats are not the same - unless the logic was that the rafts might be deployed after shutdown, with the AC Generators offline. Similarly, there is no figure given for the lowest Nr when the AC Generators will drop offline (and hence the DC Primary Busses), other than the fact that the frequency under-protection is not active when airborne, so the Nr will be much lower than the 95% used with ground logic. ( PS - for non-S92 drivers, the AC Generators are driven by the MGB, and are not engine starter/generators.)

Igor13 - it would be good to have some references to your facts, if possible. Regardless, if the 80% Nr figure you quote for the generators dropping off is correct, it is hard to think of a scenario where that could happen. Certainly not OEI, and double, simultaneous, flame-out is almost impossible to imagine. Plus, if the aircraft hit the water with less than 80% Nr, there is no way it would be that undamaged.
I'm assuming the floats have to be armed before the AFDS can operate? If the AFDS is from the battery then presumably the floats were not armed? Surely if you were going to be doing low and slow over water (trans down) then you would arm the floats as SOP?
You should be able to tell which circuit(s) the AFDS is on just by looking at the breaker panels. There will presumably be one for the battery-only bus and ones for the other buses. A good photo of the breaker panel should reveal whether there is one labelled "AFDS" on the battery-only panel.
The following users liked this post: