PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2024, 14:24
Clare Prop

Received 239 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Burroughs
Hi All,

I am considering, late in life (aviation-wise) to change career and train to become a commercial pilot. This is something I was on a path to do towards the end of high school. For one reason or another, other ideas became more interesting and I had largely forgotten about flying. I am now, at the age of 44 considering entering an integrated CPL course. Time-wise I think it is either now or never. I have done a great deal of reading and feel I have a grasp of what is required and the potential challenges. My interest stems from looking to challenge myself with a specific and new skill set and perhaps a little sense of adventure. A new path.

As far as I can see right now - what I would like to work towards is flying a jet of some kind, or at least a "larger aircraft", ie not GA forever. Could be corporate, RPT, freight or something else.

I have some concerns, and what I am missing is real-world (constructive) career advice from pilots or aviation professionals operating in Australia. Given the above and assuming my aptitude is suitable and I put in the hard work required to succeed, my concerns are:

1. Being stuck in the outback, remote or regional Australia forever. 1-3 years, ok I would look on it as something new and no doubt there would be experiences to be had. However this is not where I aim to be long-term.

2. As an newly qualified CPL, seeking first jobs and being exposed to operators with a dubious attitude towards safety.

3. Age is something I cannot change. Assuming qualified CPL at age 45, how far could I go assuming continued perseverance re qualifications and experience? I spoke to one pilot who suggested that given my current age the end of the road for me was most likely flying a C208. Any thoughts?

** Points 1 and 2 assume a GA route. Happy to hear any thoughts on an instructor route.

My questions are genuine. If I have offended or suggested something foolish, well that is why I am here - to discuss and seek advice from those with knowledge and experience. Perhaps some of the questions require a crystal ball to answer with certainty. So my thanks in advance for your time, consideration and any advice you are able to offer.
If you think you could be interested in instructing there are great careers doing that for people who are tenacious and mature. There is definately a gap in the market for older wiser instructors with life experience as a bonus to pass on to thier students, people who will get to the top and stay there, not nick off as soon as a shiny jet beckons. You need to want to teach and be patient as it's a career that can start off quite slowly but the rewards at the top are great. As an employer of instructors my ideal age would be someone in their 30s upwards. Plus you will not be out in woop-woop.
Many of my grads go on to do survey work, that can be interesting and again they need people who will stick around.
I wouldn't recommend an integrated course personally as you don't have enough command hours when you finish to be of any use to anyone. Also you might find being in a classroom with people much younger to be frustrating at times (I speak as someone doing a uni course in my 60s) Spend half as much and go non-integrated, build up your hours and add ratings when you need them, don't spend money on things you won't be using for years, if ever.