PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Regional Aviation DHC6 accident??
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2004, 08:50
SHAGGS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

A Regional Air Twin Otter was involved in an incident at Sturt Island, a few weeks ago. No one was injured. The aircraft suffered significant damage. From my sources, I believe that the incident occured during the take off roll, and the airstrip was very wet. Other than that, don't know any more. I figure that there will be an investigation into the cause, and we can read about it in a few months.

Regional Air, in my veiw, would have to be one of the most proffesional third level airline operators in PNG, if not anywhere. Most of the contracts these guys have are for multi million dollar companies like Oktedi Mining Limited, Lihir Gold etc. The crews operate the aeroplanes in a full two crew capacity, and most of there pilots are Training Captains, and hence they do spend a lot of time and money on initial and re-currency training. One also only has to take a look at there aircraft. The Twin Otters and the King Air that these guys operate would have to be the best maintained aircraft that I have seen, and most of them have all the goodies inside of them, ie moving map and EGPWS etc, to make life easier for the pilots. The company also has aircraft operating in Australia, the Solomon Islands, and New Caledonia.

The authories and the company will find the cause of the incident, and I'm sure some good will come out of it. We can be just thankfull that nobody was injured or killed.