PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-3
Thread: Southampton-3
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2024, 19:18
SotonFlightpath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flitefone
Domestic traffic is a shadow of its pre covid level, look whats happened in Germany, just 50% recovery and no Flybe to blame. https://airserviceone.com/german-dom...-has-monopoly/

The south coast will build back on the back of high rail fares and both crowded and unreliable trains. It will rely on leisure travel. The domestic business travel uptake has all but collapsed relative to pre pandemic.

international travel is the way ahead.

FF

I completely agree about business travel from SOU. Before COVID and the demise of FlyBe I frequently flew from Southampton to Newcastle, Düsseldorf, Amsterdam, Manchester and Dublin.

In the new on-line ‘Teams’ world, I haven’t made a business flight for over four years and neither have most of my clients and colleagues.

The future has to be a steady build-up of popular lower-cost leisure routes, including some of the existing domestic destinations together with a sprinkling of Continental city-break and holiday destinations, but obviously at a reduced frequency on larger aircraft. Such a mix, plus three or four times daily KLM to Amsterdam and a frequent Channel Islands service is what Southampton needs to build towards, hopefully with two or three based aircraft eventually.

Last edited by SotonFlightpath; 3rd Mar 2024 at 19:31.