PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question for aircraft comms engineers.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2024, 08:30
magpienja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MAC 40612
Most modern airliners still have a separate ATU and this is normally placed as close to the antenna as possible, which can be a bit of a pain when they fail. On the Boeing 777, for example the ATU is located high up on the fin behind an 'access panel' [well that's what Boeing call it....I would just say it is a normal non-structural panel] and it is definitely not 'quick access' as it has about 250+ countersunk screws in in that have to be removed to get the panel off before you can access the [two] ATUs that are at the top of the fin.
Interesting....I presume that the 777 as most modern aircraft....that the ATU will be fully automatic in operation.
Also can I ask.....what do modern air craft use for a HF antenna....as you will know....generally they need to be long to cope with the long wave lengths of HF frequencies and the older a/c may have a long wire from the top of the fin to the forward fuselage.
You see nothing like that now.....so where an earth is the HF antenna on the likes of a 777.