PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2024, 08:06
Burroughs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 44 year old pilot - seeking career advice

Hi All,

I am considering, late in life (aviation-wise) to change career and train to become a commercial pilot. This is something I was on a path to do towards the end of high school. For one reason or another, other ideas became more interesting and I had largely forgotten about flying. I am now, at the age of 44 considering entering an integrated CPL course. Time-wise I think it is either now or never. I have done a great deal of reading and feel I have a grasp of what is required and the potential challenges. My interest stems from looking to challenge myself with a specific and new skill set and perhaps a little sense of adventure. A new path.

As far as I can see right now - what I would like to work towards is flying a jet of some kind, or at least a "larger aircraft", ie not GA forever. Could be corporate, RPT, freight or something else.

I have some concerns, and what I am missing is real-world (constructive) career advice from pilots or aviation professionals operating in Australia. Given the above and assuming my aptitude is suitable and I put in the hard work required to succeed, my concerns are:

1. Being stuck in the outback, remote or regional Australia forever. 1-3 years, ok I would look on it as something new and no doubt there would be experiences to be had. However this is not where I aim to be long-term.

2. As an newly qualified CPL, seeking first jobs and being exposed to operators with a dubious attitude towards safety.

3. Age is something I cannot change. Assuming qualified CPL at age 45, how far could I go assuming continued perseverance re qualifications and experience? I spoke to one pilot who suggested that given my current age the end of the road for me was most likely flying a C208. Any thoughts?

** Points 1 and 2 assume a GA route. Happy to hear any thoughts on an instructor route.

My questions are genuine. If I have offended or suggested something foolish, well that is why I am here - to discuss and seek advice from those with knowledge and experience. Perhaps some of the questions require a crystal ball to answer with certainty. So my thanks in advance for your time, consideration and any advice you are able to offer.