PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow S92 down west of Bergen Norway
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2024, 07:56
Igor13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by albatross
Float PWR is redundant and powered by both the #1 DC Primary Bus AND the Battery bus. So even if the RPM should drop so low (+- 80% Nr ) as to take the generators off line and the APU is not running. the system is still powered by the BATT BUS. The crew could also manually deploy the floats upon water contact, provided the system is armed, if they are unsure that the deployment system will function as advertised or the floats actually do not deploy automatically.

VNE floats armed is 80 Kts IAS. You get a caution light if you exceed 80 Kts with the floats armed followed by a nastygram weeks, if not months later from the FD monitors ( “You were the designated Captain and exceeded the VNE FLOATS Armed by 2 Kts! Do you care to comment????” A reply stating “ NO I do not care to comment. FYI I did, however, have the designated Co-pilot, who is a TRI, flogged upon return to base following quick Rotorhead Court Martial” worked very well. )

As regards “Different float Systems” The initial aircraft was equipped with “Sea State 5” floats which had 2 bags on the nose and one under the tail boom. later there was an upgrade to “Sea State 6” which added an additional float on each sponson. Arming and deployment SOP, Switches and manual deployment remained the same.
Looking at the photos you can see the aircraft had the “ Sea State 6” floats ( Panel aft and slightly below the panel with the word “Rescue”on the Stb. Sponson ) .
Lots of good stuff there except I need to correct the one detail, on battery the floats do not auto deploy via immersion switches, even if armed.

Manual deployment required, which was my point.